Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lore taking another one for the team?

In the summer of 1989 I picked up the game Space Hulk. From that day I was hooked. GamesWorkshop has had some of the best stories and lore I have ever come across. I played table top WHFB and WH40K up until recently. It’s a game that has stuck with me, always keeping me wanting to know more about the fluff.

Imagine my surprise in 2006 when I learned about Mythic picking up the MMO rights. All I could think of was “How are they going to butcher the lore”. In the end they did all right. Of course female Dwarfs aren’t on the front lines, male Sorc’s (the few that exist) are in hiding, and contrary to popular belief there truly are female Chosen.

I can understand that the Sorc’s were kind of an accident. Really no excuse for the dwarfs, except the fear of having an entire race on Order gender restricted. Now I’m excited to hear the return of the Choppa, but worried that lore may “take anther one for team” on the Slayer.

Frankly, I have nothing against female players or characters. Heck, my wife plays WAR as a Witch Elf and Blackguard. But by lore, there are no female slayers. Dwarfs are a dieing race (whether though lack of offspring or Greenskin caused accidents), and would never allow a female of the race to wantonly take the slayer oath and seek death. Dwarf woman are the ones that pass down the lineage. No respectable dwarf would allow a woman of the clan to take the slayer oath, and if the crime was that bad, another male dwarf, most likely one of her sons would take the oath in her stead.

Please Mythic, don’t allow the lore to take any more hits than it has to.

EDIT: Recent Vids have Devs stating that there will not be female slayers, or as other call them, Slaydies).
Current WarHammer Alliance discussion topic on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment